The Graffiti Master
The Graffiti Master
The Graffiti Master

Monday, September 21, 2009

Mike Bam of Hawaii

Mike "Bam" Tyau has been one of my best friends since we were 18 (long time, don't ask). He was one of my best bombing partners because if either of us got the vibe, we would tell each other and get out of there, no questions asked. We would scope out a place, and sit in the bushes like ninjas for 45 minutes before we would hit a spot, just to be safe. Needless to say I never got caught with Mike.

When we were young, Mike was an inspiration to me to get better at my art. He could smoke me at painting, drawing, and airbrushing without even trying. He had that natural talent. I didn't have that, but his talent pushed me to work harder on my skills to catch up to his level. For that alone, I will always be indebted to him.

We still talk almost every day, and he's become a vital team member of our Estria Invitational Graffiti Battles. Mike is the embodiment of loyalty. He is the kind of guy whom everyone takes an instant liking to. He loves his wife, family and dog dearly, and is an inspiration to me as a person.

For the last three years, Mike has rediscovered his passion for art, and man is he back with a vengeance!

You can see Mike's work inside and out at 1:AM SF Gallery now until October 10, 2009.

Visit his website miketyau.com

1:AM SF Gallery
1000 Howard St., San Francisco, CA 94127
www.1amsf.com
www.twitter.com/1AM_SF
(415) 861-5089

bam_hawaii_demo
Characters by Bam, lettering by me, during a live demo painting in Hawaii's battle, 2009

bam_ninjas
Spray Can Ninjas in Chicago, with Rome Won and I, 2009

bam_wave_koi
Wave and Koi at Sand By The Ton party in Oakland 2009

bam_koi_girl
'Koi Girl' by Bam and I, Oakland 2008

Photobucket
This was Mike's first character in San Francisco, gaining him instant recognition as a talent to be reckoned with. 1986

bam_technostyle
'Technostyle' by Bam, Man 45 and I. This is before we had phantom caps. 1987

bam_exploding_robot_technostyle
Close up of Mike's chrome exploding robot. 1987

bam_world_peace_whole
'World Peace' by Bam, Slick and I, at the Spray Can Art book celebration. Photo by Jim Prigoff 1988

bam_world_peace_cu
Close up of Mike's section. Check out that skinny cap action! 1988

bam_renaissance_men
'Renaissance Men' by Bam and I. On the last day we got chased and never finished the background. This was for the battle between our crew, Together With Style, and TMF. This was arguably the most amazing battle between production crews in San Francisco. 1988

bam_spray_can_man
'Spray Can Man' by Bam 1988-89

bam_fireman
'Fireman' by Bam 1989-90

bam_geisha_girl
'Geisha Girl' by Bam, probably his most famous piece in California. 1990?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

The Graffiti Master